Cunderdin

...

A wheat-belt town on the Great Eastern Highway about 157km East of Perth

The town of Cunderdin lies at the foot of Cunderdin Hill and was named by the explorer Charles Hunt in June, 1864. The word "Cunderdin" is derived from an Aboriginal language and means " the place of many flowers ".

European settlement began with the railway in 1894 when three families took up residence. The first farm let was taken up in 1898 and in 1901.

Cunderin lies in the lush Avon Valley and harbors one of the pumping stations that move water along the quite extraordinary Goldfields Water Scheme pipeline all the way from near Perth out to Kalgoorlie. Stretching west over 563km, it is the longest water pipeline in the world. It was the brainchild of WA’s chief engineer, Charles O’Connor, who designed it and oversaw its construction. And the strain of it all killed him. In March, 1902, a month before the first water was pumped into the pipeline, O’Connor shot and killed himself on Fremantle Beach. Once pumping began, it took the water nine days to reach Cunderdin and another 10 months before it finally reached Kalgoorlie, to the obvious delight of the locals. The original pumping machinery can be seen in the old pumping station, built in 1902, which now hosts the Cunderdin Museum which also has the best and most extensive display of farm machinery anywhere in Australia. About 25km west of Cunderdin, near Mekering, you can still see the scare left on the earth by one of Australia’s biggest earthquakes which took place in 1968 measuring 6.8 on the Richter Scale.

The economy of the Shire is primarily agriculture based. The Cunderdin Agricultural College is three km's north of the town and has approximately 110 students supported by 50 staff and their families.

Adjacent to the College is the Cunderdin Airstrip. It is a major aerodrome complex consisting of bitumen runways, taxiways, hangars and support infrastructure which was constructed early in the Second World War as the base for the RAAF Flying School. It is now owned by the Shire and is currently the base for the Gliding Club of Western Australia.

Accommodation:


Cunderdin Caravan Park
74 Olympic Ave
Cunderdin WA 6407
Telephone: (08) 9635 1258
Rating: **



Ettamogah Hotel
Main St. Cunderdin
Telephone: (08) 96 351 777
fax 96351 744
  • Hotel offers 14 Motel Units.
  • Newly refurbished.
  • Tea and Coffee making facilities.
  • No cooking facilities.

All Units non smoking.

Single Room A$70
Double Room A$80

Triple Room

A$100
Meals available 7 days per week  
Lunch and Dinner $8 to $25
Well stocked bottle shop  
Comfortable Lounge and Beer Garden  



Ettamogah Pub - good cold beer and very nice atmosphere.

Return to Top of the Page